Friday 1 September 2017

Thurrock Council's stealth rent increase



This morning I received a letter informing me that my council rent is being increased as of 2nd October 2017.  As far as I am aware Tory central ‘government’ still holds to its pledge to reduce council rents by 1%.  To get around this pledge, my local Tory-run council is using the term ‘additional service charges’ to push through the rent increase. 

Both Labour and UKIP councillors strongly opposed the motion earlier this year but, as I predicted, despite this opposition and the so-called ‘consultation’ with residents that, if the chats I’ve had with some of my neighbours is anything to go by, was wholly against the ‘additional service charges’, the Tories have gone ahead with their stealth rent increase.

Below are the full texts of the letters I wrote to my local councillors (with only address information and my ex-wife's first name redacted) and the Thurrock Gazette.  I doubt I’ll have my letter printed in the Thurrock Gazette so this may be the only airing it will get.

Letter to my local councillors:

Dear Cllrs Fish, Pothecary and Kerin,

I am writing to ask you to strongly protest the stealth increase in rent that Thurrock Council are instituting as of 2nd October 2017 on behalf of myself, my ex-wife and the other council tenants who are being hit by this increase.

Having done the relevant calculations I have discovered that the increase for my flat in [address redacted] is, given some minor extra decimal places, 7.49%.  This is due to the addition of the 'service charges' for Communal Electric Charge, Door Entry System, Grounds Maintenance and Lift Maintenance.

The increase for my ex-wife's flat in [address redacted] is, given some minor extra decimal places, 5.667%.  This is due to the addition of the 'service charges' for Communal Electric Charge, Door Entry System and Grounds Maintenance.

I am appalled by this stealth rent increase at a time that, as far as I am aware, central 'government' still insists on a 1% decrease in council rents.

This increase in the rent for my ex-wife's flat is driving her towards financial difficulties being as she is in a low-paid job and her current rent charges account for approximately 55% of her income.  This increase in the rent might not have as large effect on myself as I am on Housing Benefit but, as the Tory administration said in their 'consultation' letter that Housing Benefit may cover any increase in rent due to additional service charges (this, however, is not a definite promise), I am worried about my financial future, especially as I am awaiting the result of my Work Capability Assessment and may either lose my Employment & Support Allowance or be shunted onto a lower rated benefit such as Universal Credit or Jobseeker's Allowance.  As I currently have to spend approximately 50% of my fortnightly benefit on rent, Council Tax and the electricity to keep the flat running and am currently hit by the Bedroom Tax, this stealth increase in rent is seriously hitting my mental health which is already severely compromised.  I am currently awaiting the news from the Housing Benefit Department as to whether the benefit level I receive will cover the increase or not. 

This stealth increase in rent is yet another attack on the poor and disadvantaged residents of Thurrock and a direct breaking of a pledge by central 'government' by its own party.  This may not be as large an increase in rent as the original proposal of 9% but it is still more than a lot of council tenants can afford and will only force more people into financial distress.

On behalf of the council tenants of Grays Riverside and beyond, please fight this stealth rent increase.




Letter to the Thurrock Gazette:

Well, the Tory administration have pushed through their disgusting plans for the stealth increase in rent charges under the guise of ‘service charges’ so they can subvert the promise of Tory central ‘government’ that council rents should decrease by 1%.

Having done the relevant calculations I have discovered that the increase for my flat is, given some minor extra decimal places, 7.49%.  This is due to the addition of the 'service charges' for Communal Electric Charge, Door Entry System, Grounds Maintenance and Lift Maintenance.

The increase for my ex-wife’s flat is, given some minor extra decimal places, 5.667%.  This is due to the addition of the 'service charges' for Communal Electric Charge, Door Entry System and Grounds Maintenance.

This stealth increase in rent is yet another attack on the poor and disadvantaged residents of Thurrock.  This may not be as large an increase in rent as the original proposal of 9% but it is still more than a lot of council tenants can afford and will only force more people into financial distress.

This just shows how little Tories pay attention to their own pledges at national level and of the effect their policies have on the poor and disadvantaged.  I’m sure Jackie Doyle-Price is laughing her huge backside off at this but I expect nothing less from her, certainly not representation for the injustice of this attack on the poor.


I’ll let you know if the Gazette publishes my letter and any responses I get from other readers or my local councillors.

No comments:

Post a Comment