Friday 4 October 2013

Another letter to JD-P on the Gagging Bill

Here's the full text of my letter to my local MP regarding the Gagging Bill that will adversely affect charities and non-Government organisations.


I believe that the Government's changes to this proposed legislation are inadequate as do the National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) and the Association of Chief Executives of Voluntary Organisations (ACEVO).

A legal briefing by Ros Baston suggests that despite the government’s assurances that their changes would fix it, any activity which promotes policies which happen to be associated with a party (housing, welfare, the NHS) could still be covered under the new limits on spending - potentially hamstringing charities and NGOs.

The initial legal opinion of Baston Legal can be read here: https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/gagging-law-legal-advice-report-stage.

Obviously, given such legal issues with the changes, I request that you ask for the proposed legislation to be taken back and reconsidered so that the proposed Bill can be made fairer for charities and NGOs.

I look forward to your reply.

I'll let you know if I get a reply and what it is right here on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment